Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Simple Life

So, while working on some jewelry yesterday I had some time to reflect.
This is a great way to relax, work out problems or on occasion bring your anxiety up to an outrageous level. Fortunately for me, this was one of the relaxing times...

I was thinking what a simple joy it was to do something so seemingly trivial, yet so satisfying. Filing away on some art clay silver green-ware pieces allowed my mind to wander. I started to think on the things that have brought me joy over the years and they all seem to have one thing in common. They are simple pleasures, simple gifts and simple times.

Some of the simple pleasures I can recall are;

An ice cream cone from the ice cream truck on a hot summer day.
Spending the day riding bikes with friends.
Building a fort and defending it from "Indians."
Building an igloo fort and defending it from polar bears.

Some of the simple gifts I have received;

The first "bubbles" I felt when pregnant with my children and knowing there was a little person in there.
The first look into the eyes of my children, knowing what a gift their lives were.
Slobbery kisses from a toddler and their arms around my neck.
A homemade present.
The love of a good man and his children.

Some simple times I have spent;

Camping, camping, camping - which I love.
Fishing with my dad.
Lying in a hammock next to the river with my husband.
Stone Mountain Laser Show... only the cost of parking...
Walks at night looking for fireflies.

It was hard for me to not make huge long lists for each of these. And it was interesting to realize that when I thought of satisfying, large impact memories - none of them involved lots of money or elaborate settings...

We only think we want more than a simple life - but really, when all is said and done - it will be the simple things that remain in our hearts and minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment