Sunday, February 28, 2010

Duty Calls

So, here I sit at home. The night before I leave for my new duty station.

It is probably the last time I will see my black lab Worf. He is 14 this summer and I cannot take him with me. He and our other dog, a medium size terrier mix named Fozzie, will have to go to a foster home until my two year assignment is done. I also have a lovebird, Jiggy, who will be staying with friends until we get back. The only pet we will get to take is our kitty Remy. Thank goodness we can at least take her.

I look around and see years of "collecting." I cannot even begin to sort through it all. There are things we need to get rid of, sell or give to charity. Things that will have to go into storage and then of course the things I want to take with me (which is really everything since I really want my home over there, not here...)

I want my husband and all his ecoutrements. I am not sure how long it will take to get him over there, but I am hoping that things will go smoothly and it will be soon. It has already been six months that we have had to be separated. I don't like it. Neither does he. That is a good thing though seeing that we are married and spending the rest of our earthly lives together.

I want my family and my friends. Is that too much to ask?

Books. I must have my books. All of them. I don't care if I have to stack them all over the new place. I want all my books.

Art. I want my art. And all my art stuff. Just in case it is pouring rain in the summer and I don't want to go out on the weekend - I will have something to do besides read all those books. Just for variety. Because we all need variety.

Saying I am anxious about this move is an understatement. I have been having attacks all day. I need more time. More time to see family and friends. More time to analyze our belongings and to separate them into categories.

I need more time to just be.

The Army doesn't see it that way though. They want me now. At the Yongsan Garrison. In Seoul, South Korea.

Duty calls.

4 comments:

  1. My hubby recently returned from Korea. Enjoy your time there but be watchful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. big changes for you and your husband. hope he'll join you asap...i can totally understand your difficulty deciding what to leave what to bring...sorry, you will need to part with your beloved dogs. bring ALL your books and ALL your art! all that is yours that is beautiful and cherished, bring whatever you are able to. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You really got the full ARMY treatment! Korea, all I can say is time flies when you are busy and I'm sure you will be. Hope you will be able to keep us updated on your goings on. When #2 Son & DIL went to Belgium to be with NATO it was quite the challenge for them, but they only had a few years of "stuff" collected at that time, I can't even begin to imagine sorting all the stuff to go or put in storage or throw/give away. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article, approve. I will bookmark because this material provides concern information.

    ReplyDelete